Work on the Culbertson House by Greene and Greene began in 1911. The Greenes’ work is evident through out the outside of the home, in particular the courtyard, which incorporated Chinese and Classical motifs and combined them with water gardens, which evoked Italian patterns. The formal entry hall of this home has luxurious wall finishes of sculpture plaster, velour fabric, and exotic marble, and dark angular wood furniture designed by Charles Greene. According to the USC archive at the time this project was the largest commission received by the firm, which was around $150,000.
Works Cited: http://www.usc.edu/vh/greeneandgreene/a.html