Originally built in 1870, the Richardson Olmsted Complex served as an insane asylum in Buffalo, New York. It was designed by famous American architect Henry Hobson Richardson, and the surrounding landscape was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. From these two architects came the insane asylum’s name. The complex features a central administrative building with five wards flanked on each side for a total of eleven structures. The design of the campus feature Richardson’s famous Romanesque styling. Buildings are built from red bricks and include large towers that incorporate a vertical driven design. Retired from its original purpose, the Richardson Olmsted Complex is now a National Historic Landmark.